Thursday, February 28, 2008

Film Review : Jumper [2008]


[Synopsis]
Davey lives alone with his father. But the truth is, it isn't much of a home. When things get so bad that Davey decides to run away, his big question is, Where? And how will he live? The magical answer is anywhere Davey wants!


Davey discovers he has the power to jump from one place to another. Not just a few feet. But hundreds, even thousands of miles! And as Davey explores his new power he learns that the world is literally his for the taking. But there are consequences too, as Davey will learn. Davey discovers that his ability to "jump" and transport himself anywhere is a genetic anomaly. He finds that it has existed throughout history and becomes involved in a war that has been raging for thousands of years between "Jumpers" and those who swear to kill them. Those who hunt the Jumpers are known as Paladins, an ancient sect who have long recognised the threat that Jumpers pose to the world. Paladins have the ability to sense when a Jumper is near and about to jump. They also have weapons to stop them. Cox (Samuel L. Jackson) is the leader of the Paladins and he warns Davey that jumping comes with consequences.




[My Review]
I was really looking forward to Jumper, the initial idea very much intrigued me, the trailer looked brilliant in my opinion, the fact Doug Liman was directing it excited me, then of course there was the small matter of Samuel L Jackson being in the movie! In fact as I sat down watching DVD in Seremban last Tuesday night, I expect Jumper to be a brilliant, enjoyable, sci-fi romp that would leave me feeling fulfilled and happy.

I suppose my expectations were far to high, as when I left Jumper I felt nothing but emptiness. Sure it was moderately entertaining, and Jamie Bell was absolutely brilliant, but for a movie that last 90 minutes so little seemed to happen. I knew as much about the characters at the end as I did at the beginning. Its essentially an extremely dumb movie designed to lure in crowds, this would be fine if the action came thick and fast, unfortunately it doesn't. In fact there are extremely long stretches where the action completely dries up.


The movie is also way too short, everything feels just so rushed that you forget what is going on. Thankfully the movie does entertain, it is quite fun to watch and you won't be bored in the film. I rate B- for this one.

3 mulut cakap2 belakang:

Linaaa said...

RAY!
i nak watch this citer jumper!
that time dpt ticket free tapi i pergi salah tempat..

then kat tempat yang i salah pergi tu, i just masok without ticket.. then dpt tgk sikit.. takot jgak kena halau ah.. so sebelum kena halau, baik blah sendiri.. huhuhu..

nak tgkkkkkkkk!

[r][a][y] eusouff said...

Adek Lina,
tgk jangan x tengok...

Linaaa said...

yerlaa abg ray..
nanti adek lina pi tgk okay?